Thousands of fake HARMAN consumer and professional products seized in coordinated effort between investigators and law enforcement in APAC region, China and Brazil
In a highly competitive market for premium consumer electronics, quality, reputation and customer satisfaction are crucial to public safety and building trust and loyalty. Due to the increasing popularity of certain product categories, such as portable audio speakers, many great brands are threatened by counterfeiting. These fake products sold online and by unauthorized brick-and-mortar stores, dealers do not meet quality and safety standards established by leading brands.
In fact, these inferior products can fail a short time after first use due to poor components and they expose consumers to potential safety hazards even when not in use. In addition, they leave behind dissatisfied customers and damage CE companies and their brands. Consumers may be surprised to discover that they are not entitled to a refund or repair as these products do not come with the manufacturer’s warranty.
To combat counterfeiting and protect its consumers, retailers and brands, HARMAN, which makes audio products under the JBL®, Harman Kardon® and AKG® brands among others, is working with authorities worldwide to take aggressive action against those who sell fake products.
HARMAN Brazil recently celebrated a huge victory in the fight against counterfeits. In a coordinated raid by local authorities, about 1,600 counterfeit products were confiscated. Samples of the seized goods were sent to the State Criminal Institute for technical examination. Criminal prosecution of the unscrupulous traders and network behind the counterfeiting is expected. In another raid in China, more than 50 fake products were seized.
In Thailand, authorities confiscated more than 250 counterfeit JBL Professional products and 175 counterfeit dbx® products from a retail outlet and two related warehouses and assembling places in Udon Thani. The fake products, including JBL Professional speakers and multiple dbx products, were offered for sale through an online website as well as a physical storefront. In two additional raids in Phuket, authorities confiscated approximately 130 counterfeit JBL Professional speakers from 10 shops.
To ensure consumers are purchasing a genuine HARMAN brand, and not a counterfeit, they should shop with confidence at authorized dealers only or directly from the brand website.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A COUNTERFEIT JBL PRODUCT
- Like many premium goods, HARMAN’s products are being counterfeited and sold, usually at drastically reduced prices and diminished quality. Genuine JBL products are made with high-quality materials and designed to deliver a one-of-a-kind listening experience.
- The cosmetic details are not consistent with authentic JBL products.
- Inspect the packaging and logo placement/colour. Typically, the packaging is made of flimsy material, missing key details such as certifications, place of manufacture, address, and trademark/copyright information. Logo placement is slightly off and the colour does not match the genuine logo.
- The package/product may be lightweight, smell of chemicals, or have chipped paint.
- Research reputation of the seller. Read customer comments.
- If you have any questions call or contact the HARMAN customer service team or the authorised local distributors in your country.
Jands is the authorised HARMAN Professional distributor for New Zealand, while Jands Online is NZ's authorised Harman Pro Audio Store. We operate with a network of authorised resellers and integrators covering various markets.